Accessibility is the design principle of making a website usable by people with disabilities. It’s also an important consideration for companies required to meet accessibility standards, such as those in the US market or European Union. The accessiBe WordPress plugin aims to improve and maintain compliance with web accessibility guidelines. It offers several features to make your website accessible, including the ability to create accessible forms and manage alternative text for images.
Installing the Plugin
The plugin is easy to use and can be installed in just a few minutes. Once it’s activated, you’ll see a new accessiBe menu in your WordPress dashboard. The first thing you need to do is create an account with accessiBe. This will give you a license key, which you’ll need to enter in the plugin settings.
After you’ve entered your license key, the next step is to choose which accessibility features you want to enable on your website. There are three options:
- Basic Accessibility: This will add a toolbar to your website that includes accessibility features such as font size adjustments and a color contrast toggle.
- Advanced Accessibility: In addition to the features in the Basic option, this will also add an audio player, dyslexia font, and text-to-speech functionality.
- Custom: This enables specific accessibility features on a case-by-case basis.
Once you’ve selected your desired options, the plugin will automatically begin scanning your website for accessibility issues. You can also use the accessiBe toolbar to check the accessibility of individual pages and posts.
The plugin will highlight any accessibility errors it finds on your website. You can then use the accessiBe toolbar to correct these errors. In addition, the plugin provides many tips and instructions for how to fix each error and videos and case studies that demonstrate how the feature works.
Basic Functions of the Plugin
The basic functions of the plugin include the following:
- Alternative Text: This allows you to add a description of an image displayed when the image is unavailable.
- Forms: This allows you to create accessible forms with embedded instructions and help text.
- Headings and Titles: This allows you to add headings and titles accessible to screen readers.
- Layout: This allows you to create a layout that is more accessible for people with cognitive disabilities.
- Links: You can make links more accessible by adding descriptive text.
- PDFs: This allows you to make PDFs more accessible by adding tags and descriptions.
- Tables: This allows you to make tables more accessible by adding captions and summaries.
- Videos: This allows you to make videos more accessible by adding transcripts and descriptions.
The plugin also offers a number of other features, such as the ability to create an accessibility statement, add an accessibility logo, and generate an accessibility report.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks for using the accessiBe plugin:
- Make sure to enter your license key in the plugin settings.
- Choose the most important features to you and enable them on a case-by-case basis.
- Use the accessiBe toolbar to check the accessibility of individual pages and posts.
- Use the plugin’s tips and instructions to fix any accessibility errors you find.
- Generate an accessibility report to get a detailed overview of your website’s accessibility.
The Bottom Line
The accessiBe WordPress plugin is a great way to improve the accessibility of your website. It’s easy to use and provides several features that can be customized to suit your needs. With the plugin, you can create an accessible website that conforms to WCAG 2.0 guidelines.